Bachelor of Education Degree
University of Ottawa
Digital Marketing Management Diploma
University of Toronto
Bachelor of Journalism Degree
High School Diploma
The University of Winnipeg Collegiate
Skills and Expertise
Adobe Creative Cloud
- After Effects
- Media Encoder
Website Design and Development
- Microsoft Visual Studio
Teaching and Instruction
- Culturally responsive teaching
- Experiential learning
- Formative assessment
- Project-based learning
- Technology integration
- Workplace preparation
Video and Audio Production
- Avid Media Composer
- Avid iNews
- Vegas Pro
- ACID Pro
- Google AdWords
- Google Analytics
- Social Media Marketing
Gifted Education Instructor
Association for Bright Children of Ontario, Ottawa
April 2019 to Present
- Seasonal multimedia journalism instructor for gifted and talented youth aged 9 to 15.
Front-End Web Developer
Artsculture Creative, Toronto/Ottawa
January 2016 to August 2018
- Built and designed custom-built $10,000+ WordPress websites for clients.
- Developed UI/UX and planned content, SEO and social media strategies.
- Created wireframes, mockups and prototypes.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Toronto
October 2006 to January 2016
Television Director, Producer
- Conceived, planned, managed and executed original television, digital and audio projects.
- Directed and organized national network TV and radio reports for Marketplace, As It Happens and The National.
- Coordinated crews of up to 12 people, and produced and directed original productions with budgets of $50,000 to $100,000.
- Oversaw crisis, legal and editorial issues under scrutiny and intense deadlines.
Web Developer, Digital Producer, Social Media Producer
- Pioneered and administrated digital workflow, content standards, and social media strategies for investigative news programs Marketplace and the fifth estate.
- Built, maintained and created digital content, interactives and video for many TV news program websites, including Marketplace, the fifth estate, The Nature of Things, Connect with Mark Kelley and more
- Produced original, longform investigative research for the consumer TV news program, Marketplace.
- Negotiated and booked on-camera interviews with hostile stakeholders.
- Prepared lines of questioning and background for hosts conducting on-camera interviews.
- Reported undercover using hidden cameras.
Toronto Star, Toronto
January 2004 to May 2005
- Wrote news articles to strict deadline as a general assignment reporter.
University of Ottawa, Ottawa
January 2019 to March 2020
- Researched education issues within the Greater Ottawa Area.
January 2000 to March 2020
- Provide editorial support in website news production for new writers who wish to launch an arts journalism career.
Manager, Content & Editorial Strategy
American Marketing Association, Toronto
August 2017 to August 2018
- Maintained and curated organization’s editorial calendar.
- Scheduled, organized and lead MarCom in brainstorming content.
Director, New Members and Diversity
Canadian Media Guild, Toronto
September 2008 to June 2016
- Represented the interests of thousands of young, and Indigenous and visible minority media workers at the CBC, Canadian Press, Shaw Media, TVO/TFO, Thomson Reuters, VICE Media and freelance journalists.
Host / Producer
CKLN 88.1 FM, Toronto
September 2001 to May 2007
- Producer and on-air host of weekly current affairs radio program, Word of Mouth.
- Recruited, organized and trained volunteers to produce a weekly community radio program.
- Trained and produced community volunteers from Regent Park, including at-risk youth, new refugees, and representatives from Indigenous and multicultural advocacy organizations.
Selected Production Credits
Driven By Comedy (2020)
Director, Producer, Camera, Editor
Path of Least Resistance (2018)
Director, Camera, Editor
Can’t Stand By (2017)
Director, Editor, Motion Graphics
Missing & Murdered (2015)
Producer, CBC As It Happens
The Busted Edition (2012)
Director, Producer, CBC Marketplace
Busted: Air Canada (2012)
Director, Producer, CBC Marketplace
Canada’s Worst Customer Service (2012)
Producer, CBC Marketplace
Into the Death Zone (2012)
Producer, Developer CBC fifth estate
Producer, Developer CBC fifth estate
Selected Investigative Research Credits
The Busted Edition: Kobe beef
CBC Marketplace, April 6, 2012
Co-producer, researcher, reporter: In a hidden camera report, I travel (along associate producer Nelisha Vellani) to numerous Toronto restaurants who claim to be selling Kobe beef on the menu. Is that high-end Kobe beef you’re paying for actually Kobe beef? Sorry, no, it isn’t.
Busted: Air Canada
CBC Marketplace, February 10, 2012
Producer, researcher: Are all airline travel credits created equal? Marketplace investigates the credit policies of the top three Canadian airlines and finds that Air Canada falls short, only applying the credit to one flight, no matter the amount of credit available.
Canada’s Worst Customer Service: The Store Edition
CBC Marketplace, January 6, 2012
Field producer, reporter, researcher: In a wide-ranging nationwide test, we examine the service at three of Canada’s largest retailers and discover they come up short. Our results are supported by a national survey and hidden camera reporting at retail locations.
Busted: Incredible shrinking products
CBC Marketplace, January 21, 2011
Producer, researcher: A close look at the sneaky sales practice used by food manufactures use to hide inflation price hikes: discreetly decreasing the packaging size rather than adjust the price. We examine four products from the world’s leading food manufacturers.
CBC Marketplace, February 27, 2008
Researcher: What do The Spice Girls, Celine Dion, and Mats Sundin have in common? Tickets to see them sell out in minutes. And then are sold again at double and triple the price from online ticket brokers. Working with industry insiders and hackers, we uncover the secrets behind reselling tickets and how scalpers use bots to snap up the best tickets before anyone else gets a chance.
Packing the deal
CBC Marketplace, February 20, 2008
Co-producer, researcher: Using hidden cameras, we expose the sales techniques Canada’s popular electronics retailers use to sell pricey accessories when you buy a TV. But you don’t really need that $100 HDMI cable, as experts show, a $5 cable is as good because unlike old analog cables, digital signals deliver 100% of the picture quality.
High speed bumps
CBC Marketplace, November 21, 2007
Researcher: In a wide-ranging Toronto neighbourhood survey, we discover the slowest internet speeds in the city, and take the internet service providers to task. We also test DSL and cable providers in a simultaneous test to see who provides the fastest uploads and downloads.
Product of Canada, eh?
CBC Marketplace, October 27, 2007
Researcher: Can you trust when a label says a product is a “Product of Canada”? After many Canada Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) access to information requests, we track down various foods that claim to be a “Product of Canada” but are actually only processed in Canada, not sourced here.
Can you hack it?
CBC Marketplace, March 7, 2007
Researcher: Ahead of other media outlets, we investigate how consumer information from those who shopped at the retailer Winners were hacked — unsecured wifi connections. We worked with hackers to uncover how the hack could have taken place and drive by numerous retailer locations to see if they too are vulnerable to a similar attack.